We offer workshops for Teacher Aides who are supporting learners in literacy and/or with developing proficiency in English. Our workshops can be tailored to each school context but normally consist of three half day workshops covering the following content:
Workshop 1: (Oral Language)
- The importance of building oral language competence
- Practical strategies for developing oral language skills
- An understanding of expectations for oral language at various year levels.
- How to use Deliberate Acts of Teaching to develop oral competence
Workshop 2: (Reading)
- How to use questioning effectively when working with individual children or reading groups
- Understanding the behaviours and strategies that lead to becoming effective readers.
- Effective prompts when working with struggling readers.
Workshops 3: (Writing)
- Strategies for scaffolding writing.
- Understanding the behaviours and strategies that lead to becoming effective writers.
Planned Outcomes for Teacher Aides:
- Literacy support for targeted students will be improved through improved teacher aide understanding and practice.
- Teacher aides will have a wider range of strategies to utilise when working with students who need additional support with developing literacy
- Teacher aides will have increased capability to interact with students in a way that maximises learning opportunities.
The outcomes will be achieved through:
A series of three half day workshops with tasks for teacher aides to complete between the workshops.
Cost: $450 + GST for each teacher aide.