Time / Date:
9.30am – 2.30pm
Wednesday 20th March 2024
St Columba Centre
40 Vermont St
There is ample car parking at the back of the building.
Have you noticed that it’s difficult to engage and motivate your ākonga with their writing? Are you unsure of how to teach certain writing skills e.g. compound and complex sentences, punctuation, spelling? Are you unhappy with the results that you’re getting? We all need mentors in our lives, therefore let mentor texts be your teaching ally! This course will have a focus on Years 3-8. Although a variety of texts will be examined, there will be a special focus on Māori and Pasifika stories (that will also link in with the Aotearoa New Zealand Histories curriculum). This course will aim to:
- Boost ākonga engagement
- Make explicit links with reading and writing (and other areas of the curriculum)
- Encourage critical thinking and discussion through the use of authors’ circles
- Provide practical and useful activities that can be used in the classroom immediately
- Overseas trained teachers
- NZ trained teachers
- Beginning teachers
- Learning support co-ordinators
Teachers please bring:
- A favourite book e.g. school journal, sophisticated picture book or a chapter book that they use in the classroom
- A treasure that they have at home (something small and transportable)
- Pen and paper
$195 plus GST per teacher. Morning tea and lunch will not be provided. The venue is very close to many local shops etc.
Charlene Mataio email@example.com if you would like to register any teachers or if you would like any further information.