The venue for all workshops will be St Columba Centre, Vermont St, Ponsonby.
Please note that the Year 4-8 workshops and the Mentor teacher workshops are now full. However you can still enrol in the Years 1-3 workshops. If you would like to go on a waiting list for the Years 4-8 or Mentor teachers workshops please email email@example.com
The workshops will be held 22nd February, 8th March, 22nd March, 3rd May, 24th May, and 14th June 2018. The programme will be as follows:
Workshop 1: Setting up effective literacy programmes and Shared reading.
- Key components of an effective literacy programme.
- Key resources/documents
- Suitable texts for shared reading
- Planning for shared reading
Workshop 2: Guided reading
- Essential components of a guided reading lesson.
- Planning and teaching a guided reading lesson.
- Suitable follow up tasks from guided reading.
Workshop 3: Teaching writing
- Essential components of a writing lesson.
- Organising a writing lesson.
- The importance of modelling and different ways to model writing.
Workshop 4: Independent reading tasks and oral language
- Purposeful independent tasks in a literacy programme
- Where oral language fits in the curriculum
- Expectations for oral language proficiency
Workshop 5: Supporting English Language Learners with literacy
- Challenges for English language learners (ELLs) with learning to read and write and how to address these challenges.
- Practical ways of scaffolding literacy for ELLs
Workshop 6: Effective Maths programmes
- Number and strands
- Problem solving
The cost for each workshop is $65 + GST per teacher with a discount offered for teachers who enrol for all six workshops. The discounted rate for the six workshops is $350 + GST per teacher.
To enrol for these workshops, please follow the link here.