The venue for all workshops will be St Columba Centre, Vermont St, Ponsonby.
The workshops will be held 22nd February, 8th March, 22nd March, 3rd May, 24th May, and 14th June 2018. The programme will be as follows:
Workshop 1: Setting up effective literacy programmes and Shared reading.
- Key components of an effective literacy programme.
- Key resources/documents
- Suitable texts for shared reading
- Planning for shared reading
Workshop 2: Guided reading
- Essential components of a guided reading lesson.
- Planning and teaching a guided reading lesson.
- Suitable follow up tasks from guided reading.
Workshop 3: Teaching writing
- Essential components of a writing lesson.
- Organising a writing lesson.
- The importance of modelling and different ways to model writing.
Workshop 4: Independent reading tasks and oral language
- Purposeful independent tasks in a literacy programme
- Where oral language fits in the curriculum
- Expectations for oral language proficiency
Workshop 5: Supporting English Language Learners with literacy
- Challenges for English language learners (ELLs) with learning to read and write and how to address these challenges.
- Practical ways of scaffolding literacy for ELLs
Workshop 6: Effective Maths programmes
- Number and strands
- Problem solving
The cost for each workshop is $65 + GST per teacher with a discount offered for teachers who enrol for all six workshops. The discounted rate for the six workshops is $350 + GST per teacher.
To enrol for these workshops, please follow the link here.