The venue for all workshops will be St Columba Centre, Vermont St, Ponsonby. Parking is available onsite. All workshops will be 9.00-12.30p.m.
The dates for the workshops are as follows:
Year 1-4 session dates: Thursday 2 August, Thursday 30 August, Thursday 18 October
Year 5-8 session dates: Thursday 9 August, Thursday 6 September, Thursday 25 October
The workshop programme is as follows:
Workshop 1: Setting up effective literacy programmes, Shared reading and guided reading.
- Key components of an effective literacy programme.
- Key resources/documents
- Planning for shared reading
- Essential components of a guided reading lesson.
- Planning and teaching a guided reading lesson.
- Suitable follow up tasks from guided reading.
Workshop 2: Writing
- Essential components of a writing lesson.
- Organising a writing lesson.
- The importance of modelling and different ways to model writing.
Workshop 3: Oral Language and working with English Language Learners
- Where oral language fits in the curriculum
- Expectations for oral language proficiency
- Challenges for English language learners (ELLs) with learning to read and write and how to address these challenges.
- Practical ways of scaffolding literacy for ELLs
The cost for the three workshops is $195 + GST per teacher. If you wish to enroll for individual workshops the cost is $80 + GST per workshop.
To enrol for these workshops, please follow the link here.