In Terms 3 and 4 2019, Tools 4 Teachers will again be offering our very successful series of literacy workshops specifically designed to support Beginning teachers or teachers new to the NZ schooling system. The venue for all workshops will be St Columba Centre, Vermont St, Ponsonby. Free parking is available onsite, at the rear of the building.
The programme will be as follows:
Workshop 1 - Thursday 8th August: Setting up effective literacy programmes and oral language
· Key components of an effective literacy programme.
· Key resources/documents.
· Where oral language fits in the curriculum.
· Expectations for oral language proficiency.
Workshop 2 Thursday 29th August: Guided reading
· Essential components of a guided reading lesson.
· Planning and teaching a guided reading lesson.
· Suitable follow up tasks from guided reading.
Workshop 3 Thursday 19th September: Teaching writing
· Essential components of a writing lesson.
· Organising a writing lesson.
· The importance of modelling and different ways to model writing.
Workshop 4 Thursday 17th October: Shared reading and Literacy Assessment
· What is shared reading?
· Key components of a shared reading lesson.
· How to take and analyse a running record correctly.
Workshop 5 Thursday 7th November: Supporting English Language Learners with literacy
· Challenges for English language learners (ELLs) with learning to read and write and how to address these challenges.
· Practical ways of scaffolding literacy for ELLs.
The cost for each workshop is $80 + GST per teacher with a discount offered for teachers who enrol for all five workshops. The discounted rate for the five workshops is $370 + GST per teacher. Morning tea will be provided, however, teachers will need to bring their own lunch.
To enrol for these workshops, please follow the link here